Join our team to teach small classes of bright young students. You'll have access to cutting edge resources and plenty of room for creativity and professional growth.
Technology Coordinator and Elementary Teacher
Claren Academy is seeking a Technology Coordinator and Elementary Teacher to join our growing, dynamic school in September 2023.
Claren Academy is an independent elementary school in downtown Vancouver. For the upcoming 2023-2024 school year we will serve 74 students K-8. Opened in September 2017, Claren Academy was founded with the goal of offering “Education for the Future” and sending our students into the world as creative, kind, self-reliant individuals, with the skills and motivation to thrive, help, and be happy in their changing future. In 2021, the school moved into a beautiful, modern space located in the heart of Yaletown which allows students to access a wealth of local resources, field trips, and community events. Please see the Mission and Vision of our school located at the bottom of this posting.
As a small independent school that operates in a non-unionized environment, our staff works closely together as a team to support and encourage one another while fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment. We are a growing school with lots of opportunities for professional growth and are committed to the ongoing professional development of our staff.
About this role:
- Approximately 60-65% Technology/ADST time (K-8)
- Approximately 35-40% small group instruction (6-10 students) in the areas of elementary level math, reading and other content areas (TBD but likely small group socials or science)
- Some of the Technology time is with the classroom teacher present to promote teacher capacity with digital literacy
- Responsible for leading 1 extra curricular after school program per week of your choosing (3:20-4:45)
- Approximately 2.5 hours of preparation time per week
- As this is not a classroom position there are some extra times in the schedule that do not include instructional time
- Potentially liaison with our outside contracted IT department
- Provide professional development to staff members re: digital literacy and citizenship and general technology capacity building
- Work closely with classroom teachers to design and implement activities and projects that mindfully integrate technology into curricular content and promote creative use of technology
- BC Ministry of Education Teaching Certificate
- CRRA Criminal Record Review
- Able to work legally in Canada
- Experience at the elementary or middle years level
- Experience working in independent schools
- Familiarity with the BC curriculum
- Comfortable working as part of a dynamic team
- A growth mindset
- Willingness to become familiar with the Understanding by Design framework of unit and curriculum design
What we offer:
- Competitive salary in line with public school payscales based on experience
- RRSP matching program
- Robust benefits package
- Ongoing Professional development opportunities – 1 week in January, 1 week in June, and 4-5 days throughout the school year
- Support for extra professional development sourced by staff
- Room for growth in an ever expanding school
About Claren Academy
Vision: To send our students into the world as creative, kind, self-reliant individuals, with the skills and motivation to thrive, help, and be happy in their changing future.
- To make our education accessible to as many students as possible, from diverse backgrounds including but not limited to gender, income, and culture.
- To support our administration and teachers by facilitating professional growth, making room for innovation, and minimizing barriers.
- To demonstrate a new model for future-focused education, and share what we learn with other institutions and educators.
- To design our curriculum, teaching style, reporting, and assessment to build strong academic foundations, encourage critical thinking, and foster resilient learners.
If you would like to be part of an innovative, engaged, and forward thinking team and school, please submit your application, cover letter, and resume to Tracy Gates, Principal, at [email protected] with the subject line “Technology Coordinator and Elementary Teacher.” The application deadline is June 1st, and the first day of work will be August 28th, 2023.
Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
We look forward to hearing from you!