Join our team to teach small classes of bright young students. You'll have access to cutting edge resources and plenty of room for creativity and professional growth.
Middle Years Math and Sciences Teacher
Claren Academy is seeking a Middle Years Math and Sciences teacher to join our growing, dynamic school in September 2022. Located in the heart of Yaletown, Claren Academy currently offers Kindergarten to Grade 6 and will be expanding to Grade 7 in the coming school year. Being that we add a grade each year, we will offer a full Middle Years program (7-9) by 2024, and are seeking teachers who are excited about teaching this age group and being part of a young, innovative team.
This is a unique opportunity to help shape a new Middle Years program that focuses on concept based learning, inquiry, global awareness, and social emotional development. As well as preparing our students academically, we place equal importance on other traits such as kindness, resiliency, independence, and effective communication. As a small, independent school, Claren is able to focus its learning and teaching on its three primary pillars of innovative use of technology, entrepreneurship, and creative thinking. We have recently moved into a brand new facility in downtown Vancouver and aim to equip our teachers with all the resources and professional development they need to provide an innovative, exciting, and engaging learning experience for our students. The job description below gives an outline of the position, but as we expand further into the Middle Years program, the job will become more Middle Year focused with less time spent on other areas of teaching.
Middle Years-Maths/Sciences Job Description
- 60% teaching Math, Science, Inquiry Projects, and Physical Education at the grade 7 level
- 15% teaching Physical Education as a prep at the elementary level
- 15% teaching ADST/Tech at upper intermediate level
- 10% leading student leadership, MakerSpace Club or other extra curricular activities
- 2 hours of preparation time per week
- Familiar with BC grades 7-9 curriculum
- Experience and training in teaching English Language Arts and Social Studies at the upper intermediate or middle years level
- Interested in designing a concept based curriculum and authentic performance tasks using an Understanding by Design Framework (McTighe and Wiggins)
- Interested in inquiry as a teaching philosophy
- Comfortable with integrating technology into daily practice
- Experience or training teaching Music or Visual Arts
- Interested in and willing to teach extracurriculars such as Model United Nations or Student Leadership Club, MakerSpace, etc.
- Comfortable working with other colleagues, collaborating on projects, planning, and co-teaching
- Able to work with elementary age students if needed
Claren Teacher Attributes
- Open to trying something new, and interested in ongoing professional development
- Comfortable with learning new technologies
- Flexible with changing plans and ideas
- Excited about our mission and the idea of aiming for success in an uncertain future through reflection and adaptation
- Comfortable teaching in an urban, downtown setting
- Interested in developing kind, socially aware, and inclusive students as part of a social-emotional program and promoting students’ “soft skills”
What We Offer
- Competitive salary aligned with public school pay grids
- Benefits package
- Tuition discount for children of staff
- Professional development provided by Claren and/or other identified opportunities
- Supportive and collaborative working environment (fellow staff, administration, and board)
- New facility in downtown Vancouver
- On-boarding workshops in August
- Opportunity to develop new curriculum
- Up to date technologies and IT support on site
- Engaged students and parents
- 2 hours of preparation time per week
If you would like to be part of an innovative, engaged, and forward thinking team and school, please submit your application, cover letter, and resume to Tracy Gates, Principal, at [email protected] with the subject line “Middle Years Math and Sciences Teacher.”The application deadline is May 1st, and the first day of work will be August 22nd, 2022.
Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
We look forward to hearing from you!