Join our team to teach small classes of bright young students. You'll have access to cutting edge resources and plenty of room for creativity and professional growth.
Primary Teacher - Grade 1/2 & Literacy Coordinator
Claren Academy is looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic educator to join our growing, dynamic school in the heart of Yaletown. We are currently accepting applications for a full time position combining four days per week Grade 1/2 classroom teacher (89%) and one day per week Literacy Coordinator (20%) for the 2021/2022 school year.
Claren Academy is an independent elementary school in downtown Vancouver. Opened in September 2017, Claren Academy was founded with the goal of offering “Education for the Future” and focuses on integrating our three pillars of creativity, technology, and entrepreneurship into the BC Curriculum. In the 2021/2022 school year, Claren Academy will expand to offer Kindergarten to Grade Six, with a long term vision of expanding up to Grade 12. The school is located in the heart of Yaletown which allows students to access a wealth of local resources, field trips, and community events. As well, our 2021/2022 staff will enjoy the benefits of teaching and working in a brand new renovated space which we will be moving into over the summer!
In order to allow children to progress at their own pace, (accelerate when needed or work on challenging skills when necessary) we use school-wide, ability-levelled small groups for reading and math instruction. This allows for targeted small group and individualized instruction in these areas. We see great results with this approach, and in order to facilitate this, our teachers work collaboratively in terms of scheduling, sharing materials, and using common language/topics throughout the year.
Claren Academy uses several school-wide programs and resources such as the 6 Traits Writing program and Fountas and Pinnell guided reading books, supplemented with sequential phonics programming. The school provides professional development and access to extensive mentoring and resources to support new staff in learning and effectively implementing these programs.
Claren Academy is proud to count our teachers as our greatest resource, and we enthusiastically support our teacher’s career goals and professional development choices.
- Generous preparation time
- The company of a young, dynamic and growing staff
- Competitive compensation and benefits package comparable with other independent and public schools
- Salary top up for the purpose of RRSP saving
- A tuition grant for the children of full time staff members
- Future opportunities for career advancement or specialist titles in our growing school
- Regular professional development both on and off-site
- A great working location
- Brand new teaching and working facility
- A community of parents who choose our educational philosophy and value our teachers
- A population of bright, creative students who have benefited from our emphasis on kindness and mindfulness
- Top of the line technology, and IT support on site
Grade 1/2 Classroom Teacher
- Valid BC Teaching Certificate
- Excellent communication in English, both verbal and written
- Recent successful classroom experience at the primary or early intermediate level
- Strong classroom management skills
- Ability to lesson and unit plan for a 1/2 classroom of approximately 20 students
- Ability to use a variety of formative and summative assessment tools to assess students’ learning
- Comfortable with using and integrating technology into lessons on a regular basis (i.e.Google Classroom, SeeSaw, Scratch, variety of learning apps)
- Willingness to collaborate and team teach with other staff members
- Commitment to professional development and life-long learning
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with staff and parents
- Deep understanding of guided reading in addition to how phonics and phonemic awareness provide the foundation for early literacy success
- Experience using Reading Power or a similar program to teach core comprehension skills and strategies
- Familiarity with the 6 Traits Writing program
- Comfortable programming for elementary students who have mild literacy difficulties or learning disabilities
Additional Desired Qualities:
- Previous experience providing mentorship or professional development to colleagues
- Flexibility, and a desire to work as part of a close-knit team of educators
- Open to continued professional development to support growth in the Literacy Coordinator role
- Familiarity with the revised BC Curriculum and the Core Competencies
- Possessing a growth mindset, and viewing feedback as an opportunity for growth
- Prioritizing the development of growth mindset and mindfulness in your students
To apply, please forward your résumé and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Application: Grade 1/2 Teacher & Literacy Coordinator.” The application deadline is May 1st, and the first day of work will be August 23rd, 2021.
Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
We look forward to hearing from you!